2.10.2009

Venetian $340 Omaha Hi Lo

Yes it's true, I am the reigning champion in Omaha hi lo from the feb 08 Venetian Deep Stack Extravaganza. I feel like Tom Selleck in the classic movie Mr Baseball when he says to his agent after getting traded to a team in Japan, "I led this team in 9th inning doubles with 2 outs fir the month of August!"

Yeah you did buddy.

Well, to be honest, last year it was a $500 tournament and there almost 300 people in it. This time it's only a $300 buy in and only 175 peeps in it. Damn economy!

So I get down to the Venetian at 3:15 for the 3pm start time. Hey! It's limit! The room looks pretty full and when I buy in I notice that the tourney doesn't start till 4. Shiiiiit.

Ok guess I'll go play some video poker and kill an hour.

15 minutes later and $200 down I take a seat a 4/8 limit hold'em game. I like to punish myself.

This mousy guy in a pink shirt sits down to my right and unracks about 400 in red and 200 in white. He begins to tell the table about how much he's won and shit. Quite annoying.

They he starts arguing with the dealer about posting or something. The floor gets called over and makes a ruling while the guy continues to complain about 2 extra dollars. 2 dollars!!!

I ask him if he really is complaining about 2 dollars. He says it's about the principal. Yeah but it's 2 dollars dude.

Then the guy in the pink shirt tells me to shut my mouth.

...

At a 4/8 game.

...

Bwahahahaha!!!1!!!

Ok ok pink shirt tough guy. I can't stop laughing as the dealer tells me to calm down.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and walk over to the tournament area.

Table 52 seat 1 (I hate seat 1!!!)

Table draw:

Seat 1: damn sexy
Seat 2: older white guy
Seat 3: Hawaiian guy
Seat 4: older white guy that uses a fold up knife for a card protector. There might be some legalities there.
Seat 5: tax guy jim. I swear he's at my table every time we play the same tournament.
Seat 6: heavy older white guy with a fat gold chain
Seat 7: older white guy with a beard and a seahawks hat.
Seat 8: empty, but when it fills I bet it gets filled with an older white guy.
Seat 9: older white guy with a molester mustache
Seat 10: older white guy. Nothing special about him.

I make the first break with 13,200. Woof I'm up 700. Now let's try to not to lose it all in the next level.

To my surprise an Asian guy takes seat 8. Good thing too. This table was starting to look like the set of Cocoon. With me as Steve Gutenberg of course.

The floor has announced that players need to keep their big chips out in front. Morons!!! It's limit!

Then they ask the players to stack their chips when they bet so it's easier for the dealers to cut the spilt pots. Morons again!!! The dealers still have to verify the bets. That's when they're supposed to stack the chips. C'mon floor peeps! Don't act like noobs.

I don't write about too many Omaha hands because, well mostly there's just too many cards to keep track off. So here are two hands that sucked for me.

On a board of Q 3 3 7 I hold 2 3 5 7. It gets 3 bet on the turn and I'm the only caller. The river is another Q and seat 6 bets out. There's no way I can win this hand. I fold my 3 7 face up and he shows Q Q 3 x. That's how I like it!!! Drawing dead on the flop!

Then I hold A 2 5 Q in a multi way pot on a board of A 3 Q and I can't improve. Two players catch runner runner flush. One guy, my tax guy, with ten high.

I hate this game.

After tax man jim busts, an older African American lady wearing a Redskins jersey (did they even make the playoffs?) takes his seat. The cast of Cocoon becomes a little more diverse.

Then I lose all of my chips in horrible hand that I can't remember but I was in last place and I'm down to 1300.

I just push the rest of my chips in on the next hand with a 2 3 something something and I'm out after I miss a flush or a low or a straight.

Fuck this shit. I'm going to LA.

JDN

No comments: