6.03.2008

WSOP Event #1 $1500 Day 1B

Apparently this is the biggest tournament outside the main even. Almost 4000 peeps in this shizzle. The previous biggest non-main event was the final $1500 in the 07 WSOP and it was the only one I cashed. Here's to big tournaments!

Jerry Yang kicks it off with a shuffle up and deal and thanks Jeffery Polaak. I didn't know the commish was related to Phil Laak.

Table Draw:
Seat 1: This guy is a clone of Peter "Nordberg" Feldman. Complete with XXL polo shirt and shorts, but he's wearing sunglasses.
Seat 2: Definitely East Coast, he's wearing a Giants Superbowl hat with a garnish of sunglasses.
Seat 3: A younger kid but not an internet player. He's betting 5x the blinds in the first round. He seems nervous. No sunglasses.
Seat 4: Random Middle Aged White Guy. Sunglasses and his hands are shaking.
Seat 5: Random Older Ginger. He's bald but the red fuzz and freckles on his arm are a dead give away. He's serving a plate of aggressive play and a side of sunglasses.
Seat 6: Random Younger Kid who likes to Hollywood when he's facing the standard 3x preflop raise. Looks like he's addicted to sunglasses.
Seat 7: JDN. Snap. No sunglasses.
Seat 8: Random Older White Guy with flowered shirt that his wife probably bought him. No shades but he does have spectacles.
Seat 9: Middle Aged Ginger! WTF? They're everywhere. Random dude though with a healthy serving of sunglasses.
Seat 10: Empty

I lose 1k early on with 44 vs AA against the ginger in seat 9. He playing scared as checks the K high board to me on the turn and river.

A few hands later I get all in in the first orbit with Ac Qc on a flop 8c 3c 5h. I got my 1k back. Snap.

Seat 2 kinda looks like Antonio without the goatee. On table #26 Burt Boutin is acting like a spaz. Someone should monitor his All In energy drink intake. This can't end well for him.

For the first time in at least 6 tournaments, including my win at Ceasars, I see a flop with aces and bust a short stack. A short stack that had all of 150 left in chips. Chipping away.

I call a button reraise from Nordberg2 with a AQ off. The flop comes A T Q. I check , he bets out 1500 and I put him all in. He's only got 800 left and he folds. Huh? Even if he has Jacks, which I think he does, he has to call there. Maybe this is new poker I just don't get it. The Real Nordberg would have definitely made that call.

At the start of the 2nd level I have $10k in front of me from a starting stack of $3k. This is the way its supposed to work.

Until I tangle with the seat 9 ginger again. I raise in late position with Q T and he reraises from the cut off to 500 (this is only the second level and I don't feel like explaining the blinds and raises so early in a tournament). I call, of course, and the flop falls a J 9 5. Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I'm getting this guy all in on this hand but lets fire out and see if he's got AK. I bet out 1100 and he shoves for 4k. Guess thats AA and not AK. I call pretty fast as he turns over KK. The turn is a 9 and the river is a K. He thinks he loses. Too bad he didn't muck his hand right away.

I like playing these crap shoot like that. Try to get in on a big draw or get someone to call you all in with a draw. The structure is fast in the begining of the tournament so your play should be fast too. Just don't be Like Jeremiah Smith. He was chip leader at dinner break on Day 1A with 68k and busted out in the next level.

I'm down to 6500 at the end of the 2nd level. Still not a bad place to be.

Table break, new draw.

Seat 1: I'm finally at a table with someone I know, well two people. Old guy with the flowery shirt is in seat 2, but in seat 1 is JAred "The Waco Kidd" Hamby.
Seat 2: Flowers
Seat 3: I swear its Tazz from the WWE.
Seat 4: Random Asian Guy. SAG rating of 0.
Seat 5: Random Internet Player.
Seat 6: Random Internet Player.
Seat 7: Random White Guy with a Men the Master Signature from 07 on his hat.
Seat 8: Random Asian Guy. 0% SAG potential.
Seat 9: Me.
Seat 10: Random African American from Seattle. He has a Seahawks chip protector.

Thats basically all I have in my notes. I could win a hand from this point on and donked all my chips off early in level 3. I called off most of my stack with A5 after the BB shoved for a couple of thousand with 66. Oh well. Now I can go home and play GTA 4.

JDN

No comments: