4.23.2009

Shronk



I didn't quite know what to write about about Shronk. I had to let it sink in before I could wrap my head around it.

I've known the guy for a few years. We weren't close friends, I don't think I have his phone number in my address book, but we could share a beer and a story together.

We never worked together directly, but during the WSOP we would interact daily to organize Cardplayer interviews and videos with the pros from Full Tilt. I got to know this... awkward, funny person during the '07 series and he immediately struck me as someone that would keep things interesting with just his basic perception and reaction to the insane world that we were working in.

In the summer of '07, there was a world series of roshambo tournament and Shronk was on interview duty for Cardplayer. He also got to play the tournament for Mike Matusow because Mike, believe it or not, was still in a tournament, and didn't want to come down to the Rio at 9AM. This being a story about Shronk, we met in the 2nd round.


Shronk catches a hot one at 3:10 in.



Having only known Shronk for a few weeks, I knew him well enough that I could do some physical comedy on him and he would roll with it. So I slapped him after beating him. He laughed it up and we bro'd up shortly after.

When I was running Pokerwire, having resurrected the Circuit, aka Pokerwire Radio, aka PokerRoad Radio, Shronk came to me and asked if Pokernews could do a feature on the new show. He only wanted to do it because he was a fan of the show. Plain and simple. You don't see much of that in poker media, or any industry for that matter.

After I left the working poker world for a life of luxury at the small stakes, I saw less of Shronk. I would randomly run into him at the televised tournaments that I would play and I would undoubtedly get some kinda of random story from him about traveling to Korea or Australia and getting some virus from eating the local cuisine late at night. None of it was surprising. It was Shronk. You'd expect that kinda of story from him every tournament.

It was a let down when he didn't tell you about going to the hospital or getting stuck in some foreign airport for 2 days. You always needed a Shronk story to keep you in a positive attitude because... it wasn't happening to you. Like watching Jerry Springer.

But it didn't really seem to bother Shronk. It was all a part of the ride for him. Acceptance and experience. I think he had fun.

The last time I saw Shronk was at the Dream Team Poker tournament at Caesars. He was prepping the radio show when I walked over to say hi. He went into another story, that escapes me, before I was lured away by a green bottle. I remember saying "see you later" as I walked away.

Brutal.

Pokerroad Radio did an amazing tribute show for Shronk. Please listen. Even if you didn't know him, by the end of the show, he'll be your friend.



JDN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really really nice. id forgotten about that. laughed and cried.
i hope everyone gets a chance to see this.
melissa