10.31.2008

Heartland of America Update

Hi. So day 2 started with 18 players remaining in the event. I came into to the day with about 60k with the blinds at 1/2k. Table lineup:

1. IHD....Indiana hick donk who wanted to be my friend.
2. LA
3. HSTD....Hat Shades Tat Dude
4. WAG...Wild Asian Guy
5. Brian Brunner...a local legend in Indianapolis
6. AFWN....Adam Friedman's Worst Nightmare
7. Adam Friedman and his super whiny voice (I'm sure you may remember him from his WSOP exit a few years ago on ESPN)
8. AWD...Average White Dude
9. Donk

Play started at 1/2k and of course I drew the 2 seat and the big blind to start off play. Sweet, I'll fold immediately to Adam Friedman's raise from late position with my 92. He proceeds to let the table know he's a nit etc...continues to talk and talk and talk to absolutely nobody. The dude seriously put me on tilt with his annoying voice. 2:18pm, a mere 18 minutes into play, I ask the dealer to call for cocktails. The dealer was smoking hot by the way. She chats up LA and wants to have beers. Score another one for the good guys. Couple Heinekens show up and I create a pseudo cocktail table out of the tourney directors chair. I know I'm in for the long haul today. Friedman talks to himself some more.

Adam Friedman talks some more and we lose 3 players fairly quickly to get down to 15. I didn't have any support at all for the first level, but I knew I could pick on the 1 seat whenever it was blind vs blind. He blew chunks. Not too much happening as I'm down to 41k as we go to 1.5/3k. I still feel ok though. Sure enough, Friedman opened for I think 6.6k, the button and small blind call. I'm in the big blind and make up my mind I'm shipping it in before I even look. In fact, I only looked at one card the 7 of hearts. I look at sexy dealer and let her know I'm playing for my tourney life. Predictably everyone mucks (Friedman talks some nonsense) and I increase my stack by over 20k to like 62k. Weee, we don't even show down our junk. I never even looked at the second card. Next orbit I raise 88 and 1010 on consecutive hands to 8k and have to muck with the action behind me. I nearly got it in with the 1010 but mucked to see AA. Score another one for the good guys. Down to 46k. Folded to small blind who makes it 9k to go. I sit back, take a sip or two of Heineken, give the guy a quick look and look down at 83. I'm all in for 45k and change. He immediately folds A6 diamonds. That worked well back to 55k. Lose a few more players and we're down to 12. More Heinekens delivered. Ok things are looking up.

Raise a couple hands and take them down to get up to about 75k. Friedman proceeds to bust blind vs blind 99 vs his AQ. God, peace and quiet at our table for once. Down to 11 and on final table bubble. I pick up AK soooted in the big blind and there's a raise and call before it gets to me. I repop to take down another 18k or so. Guy busts at other table and at 10 we combine to one table. I enter final table at 88k and feel very good considering I haven't picked up AA or KK the entire tournament while only looking down at QQ once. The blinds are only 2k/4k so I have plenty of play.

Final table was a fucking disaster for me. Muck the first several hands to see how things are going to play out at this table. Then I pick up, AJ clubs in mid/late position and raise it up. Folded to the chip leader who proceeds to make really huge reraise with handful of orange chips. Shit, my cards go flying into the muck. I fold a bit more and then all hell breaks lose. UTG raises it up, late position donk repops. I look down at QQ on the button and have him covered by a measly 17k. Keep in mind QQ, looked like AA to me and the stone cold. I still think for about a minute. Sure enough, I decide to get it in with the QQ and he obv rolls in with AK. Ugg, win a f'n race just once. Flop is great for us, turn good too. River fucking A. I let out a groan and count down my stack to 17k. The very next hand the big stack opens for 12k and I look down at KK. Score, first time all tourney. I put in the last 17k and both the big blind and original raiser call. Flop is 762, looks harmless enough to me. Turn is an 8, and the small blind fires for 20k...FUCK, I know I'm dead. Sure enough, he flips over 66 for a set. I finish 10th. GG life and GG liver. I proceed to need to get wasted.

I text my friend from LA who happened to be in Chicago visiting her fam and friends. Tell her I wanna get wasted, we plan to meet up in the city with a few of her friends. New Castle and shots of nonsense follow. As that place shuts down, a few of us end up at this bar called Exit. I was not familiar with this place at all. The downstairs seemed fairly normal, people drinking and such with a few Halloween customes mixed in. Well, apparently my friend was interested in having some fun at my expense. We walk upstairs and that's the dominatrix area I guess. Before I know it, I'm chained up to the fence. I got whipped and shocked all over my back and ass. The worst part is, there's photo evidence of it floating around. Once again GG life! Who knew things were actually more normal in LA? I'm outta the heartland.

-LA Mike

No comments: