8.01.2008

BAAAAAARGE!!!

Barge stands for Big August Rec.Gambling Excursion or something like that.

Totally forgot about barge this year until I saw somewhere that Ricard "I am the Quite Lion" Brodie won the lowball event (rigged). You have to pre-register for barge, so if i don't try to use my connections, I'm shut out. So I text the now sober Gavin smith (good for his liver but bad for my entertainment), cause he's big in the barge community and see if he can get me into the main event.

Success!! Turns out ole' Gsmith planned a golf trip with Nordberg and won't be playing the TOC on Friday or the main on Saturday. Oh snap. Tournament start at 10am. Fuck! I'm not made for pre-noon tournaments.

I actually get to Binion's with 5 min to spare and I become the honorary Gavin Smith at table 3 seat 9. Cocktails!



Table draw:
Seat 1: a nerdy, very sweaty mini Grizzly Adams
Seat 2: random asian wearing a barge virgin 2008 shirt. SAG potential low.
Seat 3: random really really old guy
Seat 4: seen this random middle aged guy around a bit. He might be a dealer. He's got a star trek shot glass in front of him.
Seat 5: random middle aged house wifey type with a roshambo shirt
Seat 6: random middle aged ponytailed guy. I pin him for a computer programmer and it's confirmed a bit later when he tells someone he developed legal software.
Seat 7: random really old guy. Think his name is joe.
Seat 8: random middle aged lady with pink hair. It matches her shirt.
Seat 9: jdn

This tournament is TOC style, I don't know what that means but we start in stud with 30/60 blinds and a 5 ante. The next level is omaha hi/lo followed by limit hold'em. After the 3rd break we go to no limit hold'em.

I still have no idea why it called TOC style.

There's a disturbing conversation at my end of the table. Apparently there's a club of a sexual nature opening up tonight somewhere in town and the barge'rs get in free. The lady in seat 8 has experience going these types of clubs and explains that males have to pay $60 to get in, nude males $40, couples are $20 and single women are free.

A sex convention made up of furries and trekkies immediately comes to mind. People at BARGE are from the same evolutionary tree as the comic-com geeks, the a formention Trekkies and people who play World of Warcraft. Generally BARGE'rs are successful in their professional lives but they like the gamble that poker offers over other geek fetishes.

In hold'em I'm on the small blind when it's folded around to the button who obv, raises. I call with Kd7d and check the J 4 6 flop. After the continuation bet from pinkie I raise. She mucks her cards and pulls back her bet. Wait? What? Give it here you troll doll.

When we color up the $5 chips, it's been a while since I've done that, I've got 2950 from a starting stack of 3k.

Gavin's got me cross booked with 4 other people. The only one I know is Nolan Dalla so I guess I should take this seriously. Really. I should. This is gonna be hard.

3150 at break. I'm up and taking it seriously.

I meet one of the players I'm cross booked with at break. His name is Kenny and he's already out. He was the 2nd one out of the tourney. Sweet. Good betting gsmith.

Got fucked in stud during a huge pot. I made a jack high straight on 5th street and got called down by two players. Seat 2 had rolled up 7s and missed while seat 3 had his two pair, QQ & 44, fill up on 7th. Bah! Down to 1300. Cocktails!

I spewed off the rest of my chips in Omaha and busted to a standing ovation. I that hate about barge. Just let me leave the table quietly in my cone of misery.

JDN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's called TOC-style because it's the mix of games that was played in the Tournament of Champions circa 1999-2001 (or 2002?)