11.20.2008

BC Poker Champioship in Vancouver Canada

I decided to skip the main event in Tahoe and fly to Canada to play the BC Poker Championship. (I was only allowed to come back to Canada when I promised the GF that there would not be a repeat of the shenanigans that occurred last time I was here.) And the dollar is strong in the great white north, so it's only like a $2000 tournament.

I'm not going to lie, I'm slightly hung over. I tried to take it east last night, and I thought I did but headache says no you didn't. Stupid head.

I slept in a little pass the start of the tournament to catch some extra Zs. Well that was the plan but Gsmith decided to kick in the bedroom door to wake me up. Fucker. Doesn't he know that the tournament starts at noon? In Canada that means 12:30.

I get down to the pokerroom at 12:45 and there's 45 minutes left in level 1. See? I only missed 15 minutes of play.

Table 12 seat 4

Table draw:

Seat 1: Older white Canadian guy. My read: not horrible but not good either.
Seat 2: white Canadian guy. My read: pretty much by the book. Tight and passive.
Seat 3: white Canadian guy that looks like Farva from supertroopers. My read: so so so bad. Has no concept to betting or raises and he looks like Farva.
Seat 4: jdn. My read: looks a little hung over.
Seat 5: white Canadian guy. My read: douche bag.
Seat 6: white Canadian guy. My read: tight agressive. He's reraised me twice and kept firing. Looks like he's playing premium hands.
Seat 7: white Canadian guy. A Ginger. Creepy. My read: I'm too creeped out to look at him or play hands with him.
Seat 8: older white Canadian guy. My read: playing a lot of hands compared to the rest of the table and he only fires a flop bullet if his hands whiffs.
Seat 9: tubby white Canadian guy. My read: his hands are huge! He could be a stunt double for Ben Grimm. I'm not sure how he's picking up his cards and chips without crushing them.
Seat 10: white Canadian dude. My read: tight passive. All these goofballs play the same. Why can't I get any chips?

I would have thought that it would be nearly impossible to draw a table without any Asians at it. I think it's a thousand to one to get an asianless table in Vancouver.

With our table lacking a SAG, the play is pretty tight. I think about taking a nap in between hands.

There's people watching the tournament from the balcony.

In the second level, with blinds at 50/100, it gets raised by the Ginger in early position to 400. Thing hands in seat 9 calls and seat 1 reraises to 1600. I look down at two red kings AKA Brokeback Mountain, and rereraise to 4000. It's folded back around to the second raiser in seat 1 and goes into the tank. I bet 4000 so that if he snapped moved in I could the hand preflop. But when he starts to tank I know he doesn't have AA. Prob queens.

He folds QQ face up. Snap.

I'd like to have that line about folding kings preflop stricken. I'm full of shit. I'm not folding those preflop in Canada.

14500 at break.

Farva got moved.

Level 3 and 4 were like a rollercoaster for me. Its a general theme in my life.

Somehow I got down to 8K calling down with top pair in a couple of situations. Then I get Jacks on the button. Seat 10 raises to 650, I call and so does the big blind. The flop falls Tc 6c 3s. Seat 6 checks, seat 10 bets 1600, I call, and then seat 6 check raises to 4000. Huh? Seat 10 quickly folds but I smell something fishy. This goofball has reraised me at least 6 times today.

I move all in for less than 8k. He calls and shows JT off. WTF buddy? I'll take it.

A few hands later, after he reraised me, I bust him with AK vs his 99. Haha sucker!

Lacey Jones gets moved to my left. That's an upgrade from Farva.

On the last hand of the level its folded to me on the button. I raise to 600 with T4 and get called by the big blind. I'm done with the hand. Really. I promise myself I'm done with it. The flop falls Q T 6 and its checked to me. OK! I lied. I bet 1K. He calls and bets out 2500 on the turn, which is a 4. Opps. I put him in and he calls with AT. Brick on the river and I've got 27000 at dinner break. woot!

JDN

No comments: